The Manager of Policy and Market Strategy (West) is at the forefront of distributed solar policy and will help guide the company’s development and advocacy strategies. Pivot operates nationwide, actively developing and owning commercial solar, community solar, small-utility and battery storage projects in more than a dozen states. We are also one of the leading low-income community solar providers. In an industry defined by regulation and legislation, it is an essential advantage to assess the impact of existing and new policies quickly and accurately, as well as to proactively shape policies where necessary.
The Manager will be instrumental in providing actionable policy intelligence to Pivot’s business units and executing on the company’s strategic policy efforts. The ideal candidate is comfortable in a fast-paced environment that requires significant self-directed research, an analytical and creative mind, and exceptional written and verbal communication. This role, working in close collaboration with the Director of Policy and Market Strategy, will be highly integrated across the entire company and engage directly with nearly every team, including commercial solar, community solar, small-utility solar, energy storage, and client solutions. Successful delivery of this role will lead to growth for both the individual and Pivot.
- Serve as a policy and market expert, maintaining a high level of understanding of policy drivers, business risks and opportunities across the western U.S. region. This expertise will be deployed in a multitude of venues – guiding business plans, informing project development strategies, evaluating project proposals, and validating market fundamentals for financial models.
- Identify and investigate opportunities that may arise from policy changes and develop business ideas in concert with the Director of Policy and Market Strategy and project development team leads.
- Lead Pivot’s engagement at a variety of trade associations and drive those organizations to deliver results that benefit the company’s interests and support the growth of the entire distributed solar and storage industry.
- Assess where Pivot can provide a beneficial impact by directly pushing for new policy via legislation or regulation and help lead those efforts in coordination with the policy Director.
- Advance low-income solar access through policies and collaboration to reduce barriers to access and increase benefits to communities.
- Communicate policy information across the company through clear and regular updates.
- Represent Pivot through participation and presentations at industry events and conferences.
- At least 1-3 years of policy experience — ideally within the renewable energy industry — working with companies, trade associations, advocacy groups, regulators, or legislators.
- A self-directed team player, who is dependable, highly organized, an excellent communicator, and committed to helping deploy more renewable energy.
- A passionate learner, who enjoys digesting vast amounts of information into key findings and actionable insights.
- A creative thinker, with an eye towards identifying policy solutions and business opportunities that may not be immediately apparent.
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills, as this role will need to understand and then synthesize complex issues into actionable business plans, written regulatory comments, and analysis.
- Thorough understanding of electricity sector, with a strong preference for experience in distributed energy policies and utility business models.
- Experience navigating stakeholder groups in a wide variety of circumstances, with the proven ability to collaborate with and advance solutions effectively with regulators, industry colleagues, and advocates.
- Knowledge of, and a commitment to, advancing energy equity and low-income solar access through policy.
Compensation & Benefits
The base salary range for this position is $65,000 – $90,000 depending on relevant experience, along with eligibility for the company’s substantial bonus plan, with a target bonus of 50% of annual salary (prorated in first year based on start date). Total annual compensation potential, when including bonus, is $97,500– $135,000.
Pivot Energy is dedicated to providing a great work experience for all employees, placing an emphasis on company culture, and a focus on our people. To that end, Pivot offers an outstanding benefits package that includes:
- Excellent health/dental/vision insurance benefits with up to 100% of premiums covered by the company
- Four weeks of vacation plus employment milestone bonus vacations
- Company paid life insurance and short- & long-term disability coverage
- Generous parental leave
- 401(k) matching (after vesting period)
- Work from home stipend for new employees
- Public transit reimbursement
- PTO for volunteering in the community
- Charitable donation matching up to $500/year
- Professional development and educational reimbursements
A complete list of all the benefits Pivot offers may be provided upon request.