Since 2012, GRNE Solar has been designing and installing commercial and residential solar systems across the Midwest. As a growing organization and now a Nelnet company with branch locations in 5 different states, we’re looking to bring in high performing and dynamic individuals with a passion to treat customers with a genuine and highly rated experience.
Now that GRNE solar is a Nelnet company, you will enjoy perks go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you’re part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.
Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
Director of Solar Development
Nelnet Renewable Energy Service is growing and has an immediate opening for a Director of Solar Development to join our team. You will be responsible for managing the development process for new solar and solar/BESS projects, which involves building a team of development associates responsible for sourcing and managing commercial, industrial, community solar, and distributed generation solar/BESS development and installation opportunities. In addition, this position will develop market entry strategies, create relationships with other developers looking for project equity partners, and collaborate with cross functional teams to create value for our customers. For C&I customers, your target project size will be 500 KW – 5 MW behind-the-meter generation projects. For Community Solar Projects, your target project size will be 1-5 MW, and for Distributed Generation Projects, your target project size will be 1-50 MW. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in the full development cycle process for greenfield solar projects with 5+ years of solar or comparable energy industry project development experience. Knowledge of BESS is highly desired.
- Manage the project development process including interconnection requirements, local, state, and federal permitting processes. Manage or participate in energy sales origination process depending on project type and size.
- Develop and lead development team in sourcing and managing solar and battery storage development sites and process from origination through NTP;
- Participate in negotiation of power purchase agreements and other non-standard term development contracts in all US markets;
- Create and execute on market entry strategies through market research, networking, internal referrals, establishing relationships with channel partners and advisors, and tracking industry trends;
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of extensive development experience in the solar space for a decentralized company with multiple locations and multiple subsidiaries;
- Solar, BESS or renewable energy experience highly preferred;
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field;
- Ability to work both independently and in a decentralized team environment while exhibiting excellent time management skills;
- Energy, Drive, Motivation, and an Entrepreneurial Spirit: Embrace challenges enthusiastically and execute relentlessly;
- Strong work ethic, values and integrity to please the end-user; No Excuses;
- Excellent listening skills to define needs, offer solutions and formulate more efficient sales approaches;
- Collaborate with Marketing and Sales to lead the team and creation of promotional material packages for presentation to potential partners/projects. Coordinate and conduct meetings/webinars for development prospects;
- Responsible for meeting/exceeding revenue goals and all other established KPI’s related to behind/in front of the meter solar and solar/BESS development and ownership projects;
- Engage corporate resources to model various projects and effectively communicate the analytics to various constituents;
- Develop a targeted plan focused on achieving revenue growth and sustainable cashflows within your solar market space;
- Manage the technical design support for the Development and Sales teams;
- Full accountability for tracking and forecasting of development pipelines on a monthly basis. Rolling six-month forecasts by revenue, expenses, KW/MW and closed contracts is required;
- Travel regularly and source meetings to expand the opportunity set;
- Assist with the company’s growth and focus in solar energy. Define and create new ways to serve the customer, create value, and grow cash flows within the solar space
- Special projects as assigned.
**Pay Range for this position is – $130k-170k
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at 402-486-5725 or email@example.com.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.