The City of Fort Collins carbon and sustainability goals include reaching 100% renewable electricity by 2030. To support achieving this ambitious goal, Fort Collins Utilities is adding an Energy Services Engineer to the team, titled and salaried as a Engineer II. This position is critical for moving Fort Collins towards a sustainable electric system and will join a team leading a wide range of initiatives for efficiency, carbon reduction and grid flexibility. This position is perfect for an equity minded individual with a passion for energy sustainability.
This specialized role will support and expand initiatives for demand response and grid flexibility, including both technical operations and program implementation. Examples include working to integrate existing and new distributed energy resources (DERs) onto the grid as we continue to pursue our decarbonization goals identified in the Fort Collins Our Climate Future Plan. This position will be responsible for the continued development and expansion of our existing Distributed Energy Resource Management system software (DERMs), including development of strategy and implementation with our DERMs vendor. This position will be working internally with our operations team to schedule and dispatch load management events. As the community continues to electrify buildings and transportation resources, load management events will increasingly include both shaving peak loads and increasing loads during times of renewable excess.
This is a fully salaried and benefited position within the city of Fort Collins. This position is intended to be hybrid, workspace will be provided in our campus, but should you wish most of the work can be done remotely. This position does have a substantial component of public engagement within the City of Fort Collins, so travel to and from the city on a regular basis will be required. A pool-vehicle is provided for travel within the city.
The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented, motivated, and capable of creative problem-solving and both collaborative and independent work. Preferred 3-5 years’ experience in utility demand side management or distributed energy resources planning, strategy, or program administration. The candidate should also have knowledge of how distributed energy resources, and transportation and building electrification can increase resilience and achieve community carbon reduction goals. In addition, the candidate should be able to work collaboratively, manage assigned tasks and projects from start to finish with input from supervisors, and have strong written, verbal, and analytical skills. Preferred qualifications include Program Management Professional.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Plan for new, or revisions to existing, energy services programs. Contribute to project management, engineering analysis and development of program materials.
- Manage and oversee the technical and programmatic implementation of complex energy services programs, requiring coordination with the Energy Services team and other interdepartmental stakeholders.
- Provide technical analysis related to the development and evaluation of energy programs.
- Develop the necessary documents for procurement, contracting and oversight of third party vendors related to energy program implementation.
- Approve financial transactions related to implementation of energy programs.
- Maintain knowledge of industry standards as they apply to administration and implementation of Utilities programs.
- Develop reports related to technical and programmatic performance of energy programs.
- Verify customer energy project compliance with program standards
- Provides direction to customers regarding energy decisions and alternatives, via telephone, email and face-to-face meetings.
- Communicate applicability of energy programs to customers.
- Gather, analyze and interpret site and aggregated utility data, and effectively communicate complex utility rate structures to customers.
- Perform on-site energy audits of residential, commercial and industrial facilities.
- Prepare reports and deliver presentations for customers and stakeholders related to improving efficiency and related participation in energy programs.
- Develop and provide oversight of related contractor training.
- Generate and revise calculation tools to improve the accuracy and/or efficiency of energy programs.
- Support the Energy Services team in staffing customer education and outreach events.
- Professional development. This involves reading publications, accessing web sites, and attending or presenting at seminars and conferences.
- Educates and trains citizens and professionals by preparing written materials and making presentations on energy efficient services programs.
- Demonstrated cultural competence to effectively interact, work, and develop meaningful relationships with people of diverse identities, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong learning orientation. Leverages all resources and is creative in ways of learning for self to continue adapting to changing issues and trends.
- A desire and ability to understand the diverse needs of internal and external customers, and to create experiences and deliver services that exceed their expectations.
- A desire and ability to utilize digital tools for organizational information, individual, and teamwork.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of engineering practices and principles.
- Skilled in the use of computer tools, including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate to technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency and conservation.
- Knowledge of building energy systems.
- Ability to conduct research using reports, journals, and other sources of information.
- Ability to perform statistical analysis.
- Ability to apply advance mathematical concepts.
- Ability to write clear, complete and accurate reports.
- Ability to present clearly to both large and small groups.
- Planning and organizing skills; ability to manage projects and consultants; long-term project planning over multiple budget cycles.
- Ability to collect data through experimentation and direct measurement.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to perform commercial and residential energy audits.
- Ability to work effectively on teams.
|Minimum||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university.|
- Minimum three (3) years related experience.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
The content in this posting was created for recruitment purposes. To view the full job description click the link below.
The City of Fort Collins will make reasonable accommodations for access to City services, programs and activities and will make special communication arrangements for persons with disabilities. Please call (970) 221-6535 for assistance.
Notice Regarding Medical and/or Recreational Marijuana Use:
Because the possession and use of marijuana, whether for medical use or otherwise, constitutes a federal offense and because the City is a drug free workplace, the City will not accommodate the medical use of marijuana and enforces written policy prohibiting working for the City while marijuana is in the body. The fact that state law recognizes medical marijuana as a prescribed, or otherwise permitted, medication does not alter or otherwise change this policy.
The City of Fort Collins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for which they have applied without regard to gender (regardless of gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age 40 years or older, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or other characteristics protected by law. For the purpose of this City policy “sexual orientation” means a person’s actual or perceived orientation toward heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED.
Note: Some information in your application may be public information under the Colorado Open Records Act.