This is a senior management position with a fast-paced, rapidly growing company in the clean energy sector, serving community solar and commercial clients and performing work nationally. Responsible for managing commercial sales teams at all offices nationally, designing and implementing sales plans, creating finance products and tools, improving sales process, and creating an ambitious and fun culture within the sales team. This is an executive role and will involve participation in overall company strategy and decision making. Position reports directly the SVP of Business Development.
Develop and Manage Industry-leading Behind-the-Meter and On-Site Sales Team that Efficiently Delivers Profitable Projects
- Oversight of behind-the-meter (BTM) sales (regional reps and commercial/municipal community solar subscription sales), Project Analysis Team (PAT), and Lead Generation Team
- Build industry-leading sales team through focused development plans and empowered with a targeted geographic/product strategy
- Nurture and strengthen strategic relationships with existing key accounts and largest BTM portfolio customers to expand opportunities nationwide
- Provide solutions and overcome project hurdles related to contract negotiation, development issues, and financing
- Work with the Project Analysis Team to improve upon process, including finishing out proposal software development for BTM and community solar subscriptions
- Work with related staff to optimize use of Salesforce and provide reports to the company leadership on sales pipeline and projections
- Manage team Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), including developing targeted cross-departmental goals that enhance collaboration between the sales team and the broader organization
- Prepare budgets and approve budget expenditures for all Business Development related tasks, including managing commission payments to all eligible team members
Laying Foundation for Growth of Business Development Department
- Responsible for hiring for sales and sales support with positions nationwide
- Expand lead generation expertise and bandwidth across all active markets and verticals
- Expand geographic reach of Pivot’s community solar subscription sales, in collaboration with the SunCentral & Marketing teams.
Craft and Implement Data-Driven Strategy to Expand Sales
- Devise behind-the-meter (BTM) sales strategy: verticals, channels, finance products + tools
- Implement data-driven product development strategy that leverages business intelligence and marketing to deliver products and go-to-market strategies that elevate Pivot’s position in industry
- Expand Pivot’s thought leadership in BTM sector by speaking at conferences, writing articles, etc.
Increase Profit & Assist in Closing Deals
- Participate in key meetings, as needed, to close on opportunities
- Make market-based and data-driven judgement calls where needed on pricing/strategy, market focus, and project alignment
- Work with SVP and others on Deal Review Committee to standardize and improve existing process
- Emotional Intelligence – Utilize “people-first” approach while leading with empathy, compassion, and self-awareness
- Culture – Continue to foster and support a culture of transparency, openness, and collaboration at Pivot
- Accountability – Establish sales objectives by forecasting and developing annual sales quotas; projecting expected sales volume and profit for existing and new products
- Marketing assistance – Work with Marketing staff to revise and update sales materials and determine effective marketing strategies
- Research – Maintain sales volume by keeping current with policy and technology developments, changing trends, and competitors
- Learn & Educate – Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Have Fun – we do not take applications from people who take themselves too seriously
- Proven sales management capacity with at least five years related experience.
- Demonstrated abilities in negotiation, sales planning, use of CRM software, coaching and empathetic people management, managing the sales process, staffing, and meeting sales goals.
- Required five or more years’ experience in commercial solar sales related activities.
- Significant experience in renewable energy industry, with direct experience in selling solar products to large commercial clients
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills. Attention to detail required.
- Strong team management skills, as a positive and forward-looking leader
- Experience taking portfolios of distributed energy projects through successful contract close
- Knowledge of corporate budgeting processes and ability to develop and manage to budgets for entire team and development pipeline
- Systematic approach to business development processes and knowledge of how to implement and utilize software platforms to support business development
- Broad knowledge of energy markets and products, allowing for creativity and initiative to develop new products and successfully bring those products to market with Pivot’s client base
- Detailed knowledge of commercial solar and energy markets and regulations
- Experience working with commercial energy clients across multiple regions of the country and multiple client types, with an understanding of differing needs across opportunities
- Experience in energy project finance and contract negotiations, allowing for an understanding of how to structure deals
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $130,000-$175,000, depending on relevant experience, along with a commission plan and eligibility for the company’s substantial bonus plan. Total annual compensation potential, when including commission and bonus, is $250,000+. Pivot Energy is dedicated to providing a great work experience for all employees, placing an emphasis on company culture, and a focus on our people. To that end, Pivot offers an outstanding benefits package that includes excellent health/dental/vision insurance benefits with up to 100% of premiums covered by the company, company paid short- & long-term disability coverage, company sponsored life insurance, 401(k) matching, four weeks of vacation, and generous parental leave. Additionally, Pivot offers extended PTO for volunteering in the community, an employee Community Solar subscription/rooftop solar program, professional certification and educational reimbursement, and a company match for all individual charitable donations up to $500/year. A complete list of all the benefits Pivot offers may be provided upon request.
About Pivot Energy
Pivot Energy is a national solar provider that develops, finances, builds, and manages solar energy and energy storage projects that help decarbonize our nation’s electricity, increase equitable access to clean energy for local communities, and provide real cost-savings to American businesses andfamilies. We are fiercely dedicated to accelerating the rapid transition taking place in the energy industry to a more decentralized and cleaner approach to power generation. We are committed to positively contributing to the local communities and people we serve with more than clean energy. We believe global warming poses an existential threat to our planet and that we have a responsibility to help mitigate the threat. As a Certified B Corporation and one of Denver’s “Best Places to Work”, we believe the business community is uniquely positioned to make a profound impact on a variety of social and environmental challenges. We evaluate every internal decision on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors to determine if our actions will result in a net positive impact on the community, our employees, customers, shareholders, and the environment.