E3 Consulting Services, LLC is looking for talented people to join our team: Responsible, Approachable, Diverse, Innovative, Customer-Driven, Accountable, and always Learning.
We now have an opportunity for a Project Manager – Energy Storage Services to support Technical, Commercial and Independent Engineering services for energy storage, as well as support other energy storage/renewable energy due diligence.
Why you’re the perfect addition to our Team (about you):
You will lead or support the execution of technical and commercial assessments of stationary Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) including: Independent Engineering (IE) reviews, Owner’s Engineering (OE) services, energy modeling and performance assessments, system design reviews, equipment technical specification review and development and performance and reliability assessments of operating projects/portfolios.
Additionally, you will conduct techno-economic project analysis, energy modeling, review performance testing requirements and results, and provide early-stage development support for stand-alone or solar+battery energy storage projects for the purpose of project financing. You will work collaboratively with the team lead of E3’s energy storage practice and cross-functionally with E3’s solar practice team. Projects incorporating solar would receive support from E3’s solar resources.
You will review and manage energy analyses, reviews and evaluations and act as an internal Subject Matter Expert for energy storage.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical preferred, with an advanced degree in a related technical field or MBA preferred
- 3-5 years of experience working in BESS applications engineering/ design, including system sizing (MW and MWh) and degradation modeling
- Basic understanding of BESS project finance requirements
- Highly proficient with major equipment used in BESS including lithium ion battery technology, thermal management systems, fire detection/suppression systems, Energy Management Systems (EMS), Battery Management Systems (BMS), bi-directional inverters and DC converters, and associated Balance of Plant (BoP) equipment
- Expertise in BESS system performance modeling including: average SoC, RTE, YoY % degradation, BoL/EoL sizing metrics, average c-rate, etc.
- Experience in a relevant industry (e.g., independent engineer, solar developer, project finance); experience in the Independent Engineering field is a plus
- Excellent technical communication skills including the ability to author technical papers and reports for clients
- Familiarity with utility interconnection agreements
- Proficient with AutoCAD 2D
- Strong analytical skills and experience with MS Office MS Suite applications
- Quality, Health, Safety, and Environment (QHSE) mindset
- Willingness to travel for work as needed (approximately 10-25 percent)
If you are selected to join our team, you will be involved as follows:
Owner’s Engineering / Independent Engineering
- Review or produce single line diagrams, site general arrangements, loss diagrams, engineering system designs and energy storage use case parameters
- Perform energy storage technical Due Diligence assessments including independent review of battery specs, system designs, testing/commissioning procedures and QA/QC documentation
- Leverage industry standard or internally developed energy modeling platforms for BoL/EoL system sizing and degradation estimations for stand-alone and solar+storage projects
- Review and opine on BESS system designs, performance, reliability and feasibility based on third party documentation
- Review and provide inputs/feedback on client provided energy models (technical and revenue based) for stand-alone and solar+storage projects
- Provide a full technical review of ESS designs, including calculating various performance metrics including (but not limited to); round-trip-efficiency, auxiliary loads, degradation, warranty/performance guarantee risks, average State of Charge, average C-rate, etc.
- Review 3rd party Independent Engineering reports and equipment technical datasheets
- Verify basic performance metrics from project data sets
- Verify actual versus predicted performance of operating assets using available documentation and data
- Review electrical designs to verify performance inputs
- Review performance test data for coherence with modeled estimates and verify satisfaction of contractual obligations and financial model inputs
Project Management and Technology Lead
- Lead project execution by ensuring professional interactions with Clients
- Support E3’s extended team through continuous improvement and training opportunities
- Interact with E3’s parent and affiliate companies renewables and energy storage team to support project collaboration and strategy synergies
- Ensure quality, consistency, and schedule deadlines of E3 deliverables
Technology, Equipment and Design Reviews
- Stay attuned to industry standards and trends for equipment selection, performance, bankability, etc. and how such impact energy modeling, system design and reliability
- Maintain relationships with major equipment (e.g., batteries, inverters, enclosures, thermal management systems, testing labs, etc.) manufacturers and contractors to discuss issues, stay abreast of industry trends and opportunities
- Ensure complete understanding and accurate interpretation of relevant standards including UL9540, UL9540A, IEEE1547, UL1641 and NFPA855
- Coordinate or attend E3 visits to project sites to verify construction progress or completion according to specified benchmarks
- Observe if the project site adheres to safety and environmental guidelines
- Validate as built construction documents and witness/verify performance testing against modeled assumptions
- Prepare completion milestone certificates following verification of EPC contract requirements
Production Data Review
- Review data from existing projects and opine on project performance
- Analyze and summarize possible causes of performance shortfalls and reliability events that lead to underproduction
- Prepare statistical analysis of data, resource and net energy production forecasts, site design
- Supportive and fun work environment!
- Paid holidays
- Medical, dental, vision benefits
- 401 (k)
- Coffee, tea, and snacks
NAES/E3 is committed to supporting a culture with unique perspectives and backgrounds. We value Individual Differences in Each other in an effort to create a brighter future in the power generation industry. We strive to attract and retain employees by offering competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package (including retirement) and promotional opportunities.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
Normal works hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Additional time may be required during heavy workloads or to meet deadlines.
Physical Requirements: Ability to sit for long periods of time, ability to communicate verbally, and in writing, and ability to handle long periods of screen time. Occasional work outdoors including but not limited to desert areas, long hours standing, climbing stairs and ladders.
Personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards, and masks as may be required by health authorities).
Fit for Duty
This is a non-DOT position and all employees will participate in the Fitness for Duty Program. This program includes a pre-employment drug screening.
When it comes to our customers NAES employees take ownership to perform at the highest standard. We also care about our co-workers and know they deserve the same respect. Our goal is to exceed the needs of our customers with absolute integrity.
Background on E3 Consulting
Founded in 1999, E3 is a leading technical advisor, providing reviews of complex capital-intensive projects for capital providers, project developers, owners, and regulators. E3 primarily provides independent engineering and advisory services for energy, industrial, and public infrastructure projects. E3 operates as an independent subsidiary of NAES, a large provider of O&M, engineering and environmental services in the power generation sector.
Why Work with E3 Consulting?
E3 has a culture of teamwork and mutual respect and places high value on work-life balance. We offer a small business feel, while working on interesting and cutting-edge projects with a primary focus on the energy sector. With the continued energy transition, E3’s renewables business continues to be a focal point of our team.
At NAES, you’ll find engaging and challenging career opportunities in the power generation, renewable energy and industrial construction industry. At every level of the company, we share a common goal: To instill confidence in our clients through our steadfast commitment to safety, integrity and quality of work.
NAES is the largest independent operator of power facilities in the industry, operating more than 190 power plants throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and the UK that span all technologies and provide over 49 GW of capacity. With the strength of 4000 people, our growing family of companies now addresses the entire life cycle of power generation and other industrial plants.
Safety is a very important value of NAES; those employed with NAES are expected to be mentally alert and work safely at all times, following safety rules and procedures. Additionally, employees have an obligation to abide by all safety warnings and posted safety signs, on company property.
It is the practice of NAES to seek employees of the highest quality and to select the individuals on the basis of merit and competence, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability, military status or affiliation protected under USERRA, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by applicable local, state and federal law.
Read more about the position and apply now here.