As Benchmark’s Solar Division Manager, you walk into a very exciting role of continuing the growth and development of our solar division within an experienced electrical and construction company! The BES Solar Division Manager is responsible for the development, execution and completion of commercial to utility-scale solar projects. While majority of the work performed will be Project Management, client relation is also vital to this role with some work in business development. The incumbent will devote his/her energies to best represent the company in the eyes of its Clients, managers, employees, suppliers, competitors and general public to maintain and promote the reputation of Benchmark Electrical Solutions.
KEY REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports to and is fully accountable to the President/CEO.
- The following positions report directly to and are accountable to the Solar Division Manager:
- Project Engineer
- Superintendents/Foreman (while serving a PM role)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the Director of Business Development for potential new projects and clients in accordance with Benchmark costs and profit expectations.
- Manages Client, vendor and Subcontractor relationships
- Familiarity with the PV system design tools such as Helioscope, EnergyToolbase, PVWatts
- Assist with the development of internal operating policies, standards and procedures.
- Manages overall project performance (quality, scope, schedule, cost, communication, resource issues, risks and customer satisfaction), utilizing the resources of team members.
- Strong relationships with solar industry partners such as vendors, subcontractors, etc.
- Prepare proposals, assist in presentations and participate in contract negotiations. Additionally, prepare work orders, change orders, purchase orders as scope changes occur and complete invoicing and overall budget.
- Reports project status and performance data as required to management, project sponsors and other stakeholders.
- Manage and coordinate utility interconnection/AHJ permitting processes for construction projects and related documentation for project interconnection and completion
- Manage and coordinate activities of internal team of project engineering, commissioning, procurement, asset management, legal, finance, and accounting staff as well as deliverables of project stakeholders, and regulatory and permitting authorities.
- Ensure project quality control and safe construction practices by conducting on-site inspections as needed and coordinating with 3rd parties if necessary.
- Lead project status update meetings with management, energy off-takers, utilities, and finance counterparties, facilitating discussions with a detailed project plan and high-level status dashboard.
- Manage the collection, organization and filing of all project documentation, both internally and for external third-party stakeholders and project financing needs
- Lead the coordination of project turnover exercises from Construction to the Asset Operations team for assigned projects.
- Plans, monitors, and controls the project throughout its life cycle (bid, contract award, project development, project engineering/design, procurement, construction, close out).
- Work closely with the project team to confirm deliverables and services are being provided to the client’s satisfaction.
- Make key hiring decisions to grow this Division
- Work with the project team to cross sell additional Benchmark services
- Willingness and ability to travel ~25% as required.
In addition to Duties/Responsibilities listed above, Project Manager responsibilities:
- Develops a project plan (operational plan) as well as project specific safety plan for executing work safely while adhering to the project’s budget.
- Leads and manages Superintendents, General Foremen & Foremen assigned to the PM’s projects by helping them be successful (removing obstacles)
- Ensures all the necessary pre-construction activities, documents and materials are procured prior to the start of each project.
- Coordinates with procurement the order of materials and confirm in advance that all materials and equipment will be available on site for the job assigned when needed.
- Acquires all necessary permits and licenses, maintains a job binder and on site for assigned jobs.
- Tracks project work on a daily basis with Superintendent/s (or others) using project management software to ensure budgets and milestones are met on time.
- Communicates change order information to the COO and confirms all costs are adjusted and billed. Must follow CHANGE ORDER POLICY at all times.
- Manages all assets (rentals, equipment, materials, etc.) for their jobs.
- Prepares project reports for management, Client, or others.
- Ensures the accuracy and timely submission of payroll reports, making sure to follow all payroll procedures, including overtime, vacation and sick time paid.
- Ensures that all expenses are being monitored and all projects remain within the budgeted amount(s).
- Oversee customer progress billing and that all billing is accurate.
- Ensures that any and all company equipment and unused or excess material are returned to the warehouse/shop at the completion of the project.
- Other duties and projects that may be assigned from time to time by the VP of Operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly skilled in construction project management techniques and practices.
- Deep understanding of construction means, and methods associated with the and construction of commercial and institutional entities.
- Thorough understanding of how to control projects and manage scope and change control while controlling the sequencing of work and the strategy of creating effective project schedules.
- Ability to read and understand architectural and other design techniques, tools and principals involved in production of blueprints, drawings and models and a working knowledge of civil, mechanical and electrical work.
- Always able to meet or out-perform construction schedules and diligently works to meet or beat the project budget.
- Excellent knowledge of the construction industry and trends impacting its business and ability to manage through Subcontractors and other third-party vendors.
- Knowledge of raw materials, building processes, quality control, costs, material and equipment ordering, inventory control and other techniques for maximizing the effective construction work for Clients.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources modeling, leadership technique and coordination of people, product and resources.
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, Clients, and the general public.
Minimum Education: Bachelors’ degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related, preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in a construction company, preferably in Project Management or management; experience in PV solar project construction required.
Certifications: NABCEP PV Installer Certification preferred, PMP preferred
- Regularly required to stand and/or walk for long period of time while completing other duties and responsibilities.
- Must have full range of body movements including use of his/her hands/fingers, handle and feel objects such as computer equipment and other office equipment. Must have the ability to bend the body, reach for objects, and to crouch when needed.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. These vision requirements in each area must be sufficient to shift in focus from computer screens to close forms.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) lbs.
- Indoors in a smoke-free office environment as well as outdoors at job sites.
- Varying weather conditions/temperatures