Sinton Instruments is a small, well-established and tightly-knit metrology equipment company with an
opening for an engineer who specializes in mechanical design, but ideally has interests in multiple areas
and is willing to take on various roles as needed. We manufacture instruments in small batches that are
used in R&D and the manufacture of silicon solar cells for a worldwide customer base. This position is
primarily responsible for mechanical design work, mechanical drawing creation, BOM creation and
maintenance to support and expand the entire Sinton Instruments test and measurement product line.
This position requires in-depth knowledge of numerous manufacturing and plating processes, and will
work closely with established fabrication shops to solve manufacturing or quality issues. This role will
also perform quality checks for incoming machined and custom-manufactured parts. A successful
candidate will be someone who is excited to work closely with a small team on collaborative projects,
but is also comfortable working independently to solve problems creatively on their own in their area of
specialty. The ideal candidate would also have an interest in solar power in general and be genuinely
excited to contribute directly to this quickly-growing and dynamic industry with their efforts.
- Design new products, maintain, improve and execute existing designs, and collaborate with other engineers on custom projects to meet new and unique challenges
- Design for CE compliance with a particular focus on electrical safety and RF emissions
- Generate mechanical drawings for manufacturing purposes
- Create and maintain mechanical bill of materials for numerous products
- Lead discussions with customers to define custom requirements and collaborate with the business department for quoting
- Hands-on prototype assembly, review, and testing for all new designs
- Provide detailed documentation to assembly technicians and assist directly in any assembly challenges which arise
- Inspection/quality control of incoming manufactured parts; Work closely with external vendors to address any issues that arise during offsite manufacturing
- Provide technical support to new and established customers. Collaborate with other engineers to optimize end-to-end product functionality and customer experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Manufacturing process such as milling, turning, sheet metal fabrication
- Plating processes such as anodization (Type I and III), gold plating, powder coat and chem film
- Worst-case tolerance analysis
- Ability to perform first-pass thermal and airflow calculations to meet unique requirements
- Working knowledge of (and interest in) basic operating principles for solar cells and modules
- Solidworks, Solidworks PDM and Solidworks Manage
- Travel (Post-COVID) up to 10% internationally for installations and occasional conferences
- Interest in solar cell physics and willingness to learn and contribute to scientific research
- Some technical support in international time zones outside of office hours in Boulder.
- Bonus: Experience with automation systems, manufacturing production lines, and LabView
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401k with matching contributions
- Flexible paid time off
- Dependent care and Medical Flex Spending Account
- Benefits (401k, FSA and Insurance) start the first of the month following the completion of 2
- consecutive months of employment.
Compensation:Salary Range: 67-85K$, depending on qualifications
Annual bonus: Average 24%: Range 8%-41% based on 2016-2020 full years.
Please send resume with cover letter to Cassidy@sintoninstruments.com.