SunShare is one of America’s largest and fastest growing community solar companies who has been transforming the clean energy landscape since 2011. We believe making clean energy choices for businesses, institutions, residential and renters should be easy, and that anyone with an electric bill should have the option to purchase solar energy. We empower our customers with the “power to choose” hassle free solar energy. We are a dynamic and highly driven company developing 1-5 MW community distributed solar projects at scale, with aggressive growth projections. With offices in Minneapolis and Denver, we are committed to hiring and developing the best talent from around the world.
The Senior Counsel will perform legal and commercial duties for the purpose of helping to analyze, structure, and close complex project and corporate financial transactions. They will review, draft, and manage complex commercial agreements and perform general corporate legal tasks. The Senior Counsel will remain knowledgeable on emerging Community Solar markets and their policy, regulatory, and tariff structures, and will recommend compliance strategies concerning business and new market development. The Senior Counsel will study utility program rules related to the developer selection process, interconnection process, and tariff structures. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer, and will be based out of the Denver office, subject to the current remote working environment. This role will require fulfilling work hours and occasional travel. Candidates must have the strong work ethic required to succeed in such an environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist on asset sale transactions, construction loan financing, and other financing relating to the
Company’s development portfolio.
Specific duties to include:
- Drafting and negotiating transaction documents
- Overseeing and managing the company data room and legal documents
- Assisting in third party diligence activities, including coordinating responses to questions and information requests
- Assisting in project-level development on ad hoc basis
- Facilitating any other tasks that are necessary to the closing of a transaction or financing
Advising the company about legal issues related to business operations.
Specific duties to include:
- Providing management with effective legal advice on business issues, corporate finance and company strategies
- Negotiating and representing the company in mediation, arbitration, and complex litigation matters
- Selecting and overseeing the work of outside counsel
- Drafting and editing complex commercial agreements
- Ensuring the company operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, etc.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience handling M&A activities, structured and project finance
- transactions, preferably in the renewable energy, electric utility, or real estate industries
- Experience with commercial real estate preferred
- Excellent analytical and research skills; highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products
- Superior written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Good organizational skills, ability to effectively prioritize tasks, highly detail-oriented
- Excels in a fast-paced environment
- Must be willing to work long and flexible hours to meet project deadlines
- Great team player
- BA/BS degree and JD required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary Range: $130,000 – $160,000 annually.
- Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the
- applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Benefits include health/dental/vision insurance benefits with up to 100% of premiums covered by the company, company sponsored disability coverage, company sponsored life insurance coverage, eligibility to participate in a 401(k) plan, eligibility to participate in SunShare’s stock option plan, and a generous paid time off policy.
- A complete list of all the benefits offered at SunShare may be provided upon request.
Qualified applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.