Solas Energy Consulting (www.solasenergyconsulting.com), headquartered in Fort Collins, CO, provides commercial advisory and consulting services to the utility-scale renewable energy industry. We specialize in project development and project management consulting services, climate change policy analysis, and asset acquisition/divestiture services for utility scale energy storage, wind and solar power projects. With experience in renewable energy and climate change dating to the late 1990’s, Solas Energy provides consulting on a variety of projects in the U.S. and Canada to utilities, developers, contractors, and equipment manufacturers.
Position Overview and Job Description: BESS Project Engineer
We are looking for a motivated, detail oriented and intelligent team member who has a high degree of integrity, leadership skills and a strong passion for renewable energy. The Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Project Engineer will be trained to assist in the project engineering, design, project quality control and construction management of battery energy storage system (BESS) renewable energy projects on behalf of Solas Energy’s clients. Team member will focus on BESS technology projects but will be exposed to other technologies including wind, solar and hydrogen projects. The main office for Solas Energy® is located in Fort Collins, Colorado, however this is a remote, office-based position. The successful candidate must be able to travel to project sites in the US and Canada to support installation and commissioning activities for several weeks, multiple times each year.
- Assists in managing the design, engineering and construction of renewable energy projects with a strong focus on battery energy storage projects, including the technology and controls systems
- Travels to job sites to oversee project commissioning of BESS infrastructure
- Coordinates with BESS manufacturers, clients, and independent engineers for design reviews and specification development including energy management systems (EMS)
- Collaborates with other Solas Energy team members and serves as a professional representative of Solas Energy in all client interactions
- Manages the organization and responses to RFIs and submittals based on the design requirements and contract documents
- Witnesses BESS factory acceptance tests (FAT) and tracks corrective actions
- Works with local fire departments and authorities having jurisdiction on BESS fire protection designs and specifications
- Prepares and provides regular updates of the project execution plan and schedule including engineering, procurement and construction activities
- Arranges for and organizes regularly scheduled project meetings to facilitate, confirm and communicate status of progress and assign tasks
- Works with plant operators to define the requirements for operations of BESS facilities and documentation required for turn-over
- Regularly interfaces with BESS manufacturers to understand and track their product and service offerings and keep updated on technology developments
- Writes technical scopes of work for BESS procurement and helps with the procurement process, including contract negotiations and pricing evaluations
- Assists Construction Manager(s) overseeing BESS installation and commissioning and quality control during execution of project and ensures compliance with reporting requirements under EPC contracts and lender agreements, and to internal management
- Tracks BESS warranty requirements and reviews design documents for warranty compliance
- Supports project developers in developing the project, technology selection, and providing technical expertise during the permitting process
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to travel as needed to construction sites around the US and Canada
- Passion for utility scale renewable energy and battery energy storage technologies
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and flexibility in terms of assignments
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, problem solving techniques, ability to take direction.
- General understanding and ability to use project scheduling software and methodology, Microsoft office suite, and strong Excel/Spreadsheet analysis
- Familiarity with construction processes, project contracts, engineering practices, construction techniques, BESS, wind, and solar plant technologies
- Strong attention to detail; focus on accuracy, consistency, and quality of work; high degree of integrity & reliability
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in chemical or electrical (power) engineering or 4 years of relevant experience with an emphasis on energy storage, control systems, and/or construction of renewable energy projects. Technical working knowledge of power generation technologies, construction practices, scheduling and budgeting, reporting, safety best practices, bidding, and estimating.
Essential Job Functions
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders, maintain balance on rough surfaces, stoop and kneel
- Ability to speak, write and understand English
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment including hard hats, boots, gloves, vests and eye protection
- Drug and alcohol screening may be required on a random basis and/or after being involved in any safety incidents
- See and hear well with or without correction to avoid safety hazards to themselves and others.
- Use a computer, type, and do paperwork associated with job functions
- Ability to pass a background check
- Fort Collins, CO or remote
Compensation & Benefits
- $60,000-80,000 annually with bonus potential. Salary will depend on work location and prior experience.
- Benefits include medical, vision, dental, retirement, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, AD&D, statutory worker’s compensation, unemployment insurance, general liability, errors & omissions, activity reimbursement, paid vacation, and paid sick leave.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all skills and working conditions. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about the job.
In no event shall the job description be construed to represent a contract of employment. The Company maintains “at-will” employment, where either party is free to dissolve the relationship at any time.
Solas Energy Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. Discrimination in the hiring or employment of individuals based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, hair style, gender identity or gender expression), national origin, disability, veteran’s status, age or genetic information (including family medical history) is illegal and will not be tolerated. Solas Energy Consulting will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees who need them for medical or religious reasons, as required by law.