At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES is seeking an experienced Solar PV Solutions Developer to coordinate solar PV engineering and technical support activities, working closely with the Business Development, Land Acquisition, Sourcing and Constructions team in the US to qualify, evaluate and support projects through their life-cycle.
The PV Solutions Developer will be responsible for identifying opportunities to deploy innovative new array technologies in solar PV projects, working with the Development and EPC teams to evaluate early-stage development and construction, which may include energy storage. Responsibilities include:
- Finding opportunities to deploy innovative solar PV technology.
- Developing and implementing New Product Introduction best practices to ensure successful deployment of new products into projects.
- Developing or supporting the development of PV production analysis, energy and financial models, electrical and structural design review, Scope of Work and Requests for Proposal for engineering services.
The PV Solution Developer will join an engineering and execution project team, to serve as the subject matter expert for commercial, technical and engineering matters related to solar PV arrays. Excellent communication, task management and planning skills needed, in addition to technical breadth.
The successful candidate will have a depth of experience in the design, engineering and analysis of PV systems ranging from 500 kW to >100 MW as well as an in-depth understanding of the architectures and components to build such systems. Eager to learn and adapt projects to new solar PV technologies.
The position is in Salt Lake City, UT or Louisville, CO, and may include up to 20% travel to project locations and international partner locations.
Growth and Leadership
- Acquire in-depth technical and financial knowledge of a new PV array technology and find opportunities that best capture its benefits in the US market
- Ability to develop business cases in support of justification of new product investment/deployment.
- Educate team on changing trends in technology and LCOE impacts
- Participate in AES Clean Energy growth planning process by contributing to process improvement task forces and other strategic planning activities
- Good understanding of project financial models and associated financial engineering/optimization of renewable energy power plants
- Energy production and performance modeling for PV
- Technical project/site due diligence and project engineering design review
- Engineering Procurement and Construction contract support
- Project Scope of Work and design standards development
- Seek and evaluate proposals for engineering services
- Coordinate engineering consultants to develop project construction drawings and support material
- Review and comment on design deliverables provided by consultants and contractors for the construction of projects
- PV and energy storage system design optimization to maximize reliability and reduce cost
- Collaborate with relevant teams to introduce required knowledge to find new opportunities based on an innovative PV technology requirement
- Perform Job Safety Assessments and Safety Walks to identify job-site hazards
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering or equivalent technical field
- 5+ years professional experience in solar PV system design, development, construction and analysis preferred
- Excellent working knowledge and understanding of fixed and tracking arrays, solar panel construction and connections, wire management, and solar field O&M.
- Knowledge to perform LCOE calculations
- Strong proficiency with PVsyst and Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency in real-world PV system design, including 1-line and 3-line diagram conventions
- 1-3 years of experience with Battery Energy Storage Systems design and modeling
- OSHA 10-hr or comparable job-site safety certification
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee’s I-9 to confirm work authorization.